Tuesday, February 20, 2007

War

After a while I entered into a golden age where I could afford to build many things such as coliseums, libraries, Sistine chapels, and other “great feats” which gained admiration from other civilizations. This unfortunately led to me being invaded. I quickly started producing many warriors of high caliber which practically decimated the invading army (Caesar). I also decided to use many war tactics which have been successful in history. I created an alliance with another civilization (Indian) and had them attack Caesar at the same time. The reason I did this is that I recalled the downfall of the Nazi regime where the Nazi’s were forced to fight a two or even three front battles. Their attentions were thrown too many different places and their army was spread to thin even from a defensive standpoint. The only options then available were to retreat and solidify while leaving certain cities to be conquered, or to run a huge deficit and try to acquisition more troops to support their war. This is similar to the war based economy I was forced to switch too. I had to cut spending on scientific research, create soldiers and weapons instead of cultural edifices. At the end of my defensive war I gained a few cities and some of Caesar’s workers. From an economically rational perspective where one would weigh the costs vs. benefits I feel that my war cost me a great deal and I received nothing of equitable value asides from the immediate safety of my citizens.

From my victory in this war one can extrapolate many things. I was lucky to have built my cities in places where I could produce enough food to sustain a high population growth. This allowed me to devote resources to developing technology which made food production even more efficient. It also allowed me to improve the overall infrastructure of my civilizations due to the creation of hygienic structures (i.e. aqueducts). This was important because it eliminated disease in most cases and also provided for overall better health of my citizens (generalization: healthy people are happy). This advanced technology let me create better weapons and soldiers for war but what I found more important were the trade opportunities I achieved. I was able to build harbors and boats which allowed for more trade with other civilizations and the ability to expand across seas and colonize as many cultures have done in the past.

3 comments:

Homer Marshman said...

Yes, I found that there is a direct correlation between economic strength( that you seemed to have nurtured) and your ability to develop a more capable army at a quicker rate. it is important to build a strong economic backbone and the necessary technologies to increase economic efficiency. A strong economy can hasten military development and bring upgrades at a quicker rate.
I also agree with your wartime strategy of building an alliance, although one potential drawback is they may grow reliant upon you for gold and technology if you are the stronger civilization. They can also ask you to stop trading with your other allies who they do not like and this can also lead to problems. Best of luck to your empire

Gm0n3y4sh0 said...

I agree with this....war is definately a main event which decides whether you are successful or not. I like that allience idea, because then one wont have to worry about being attacked that much since he has these alliences which are supposed to protect and benefit, correct? Both for the safety and the economy, an allience helps globalization in some way also.

Jill said...

I feel that your comment about city locations is very important. The better the location and road system the easier it is to protect all of your cities from invaders. Although warriors are important, I think city location is even more important within wars within this game.