Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Industrial Revolution Begins

During the Industrial age my civilization started to advance quite quickly in a variety of ways. I maintained my focus on achieving scientific advances and producing higher culture. I also had been following an expansionist strategy in which I used galleons to transport workers and settlers to different continents. Many of the advances I gained during the industrial age allowed me to expand rapidly and also increased the overall output in my existing cities. So far this is definitely my favorite age to play in the game, as it offered a variety of new options for me to pursue.
My culture was already very advanced and I began the industrial age by increasing my scientific funding to 80%. Learning the secret of Steam Power was a huge advantage as it allowed me to build railroads throughout my empire. The most important effect of these railroads was that I could move units with almost no cost. This let me move my workers around very easily and also let me disband much of my army. The army, which I have in place, is only there to provide defense from invaders. After I gained the secrets of Replaceable parts I was able to make a much stronger military and also upgrade existing units. I disbanded a large portion of the army because I was able to move my military very quickly now due to the railroads.
During the Industrial Revolution in America the use of steam power allowed the U.S. to build steam engines and transport goods just as in my game. It also led to railroads being built across America. Coal became a major resource in that it was needed everywhere from factories to trains. Large factories were built in cities, which led to urbanization and rampant pollution. This is a very superficial look at the effects these few things had on the country yet this time period gave way to large innovation and each new aspect greatly reshaped the nation. For example urbanization took place and people went to work in factories. This eventually brought up the idea of labor laws (pensions, workers compensation, and acceptable work environments). Also children began working in factories as well which led to child labor laws. These are many policies, which exist today which we don’t even think about. The exploitation of the American worker and creation of “Robber Barons” could be seen as increasing the disparity in the distribution of wealth, which still exists today.

I will now try to incorporate flight, and with this new advancement I will be able to be even more efficient than with the railroads I have now.

4 comments:

Homer Marshman said...

I agree with your insight about the overall expansion that industry can play into an economy. I was quick to develop these technologies in my own civilization in order to develop a stronger infrastructure, a happier population, and a strong national defense which made me the global superpower. I also agree that Railroads are a great technology in this game because you can move units a lot faster than with roads. You will find that with flight, your ability to transfer units willbe even more impressive, especially if you hold territory overseas.

La Pensadora said...

The Industrial Era certainly holds advantages over previous eras, as you so aptly describe: increased production, increased mobility, more rapid scientific advance . . . Industrialization sure beats prehistoric tools! Your focus on railroads is interesting; when I've reached the Industrial Era, I've largely kept my roads and built few railroads with no apparent detriment. However, I noticed early on the having no transportation infrastructure was highly detrimental--it took forever to get units from one tile to the next. In future games I will definitely bear in mind your use of railroads. Hopefully upgrading my roads to railroads will make my empires even more efficient.

One final thing: Allow me to make the humble prediction that, if the Industrial Era is your current favorite, the Modern Era will blow you away. Call it a hunch. ;)

hewey's blog said...

I am going to apply the knowledge you used about the industrial revolution for my next blog, it shows that great minds think alike haha

Chris Keyes Blog said...

In the game and in actual history, railroads brought many advantages. People and goods could be transported much quicker, and industrialization increased dramatically. I have found them very useful because I can transport my workers in no time to other cities where they are needed the most. This speeds up production and therefore makes workers more efficient. Efficiency is important both in the game and in the real world, as a greater output can be achieved with less input.